I suppose I am a little late to the energy bite game.
While at the start of this blog I was just becoming health conscious and shifting my diet to clean eating and plant based, I still mostly shared all the nom nom goodies. But in reality, I don’t really eat those things…just the cookie monster does.
I wanted to shift some things around of the recipes I share to reflect healthier alternatives to the brown butter laden recipes I tend to create.
I work in one of those kick-ass offices that has a snack wall. Make than an entire kitchen filled with snacks. While many are tempting, they happen to be not so healthy for you. Good options do include fruit with almond butter or veggies with hummus, but many times the hungry hungry hippos occupying our office get there first. Thus, the chips are left.
I decided to start bringing in my own snacks in order to help stay on my track of mindful eating as well as minimizing the amount of processed foods I eat.
Thus, the energy bites were born! (Well, kinda.) My cousin makes bites all the time and I finally got the energy (hehe, get it?) to make my own. And these are pretty great. The tart lemon offsets the sweetness and the small bite size pieces make them for an easy snack.
Whirl these babies up and get to healthy snacking!
- 2/3 cup Dried Blueberries
- 5-6 Pitted Mejool Dates, rehydrated in hot water if too dry
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (as needed)
- 1/2 cup almonds (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup cashews (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Place all items into a food processor.
- Pulse until the mixture comes together into large clumps. Add the lemon juice or 1 teaspoon of water as needed to help it come together. (If the mix is still dry, add some more water, or lemon for extra tartness to help the mix come together.)
- Press the mix into a large square or rectangle on wax paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut the square into smaller bites and store in fridge.
*These will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge, but longer in the freezer.