While I totally meant to post this last week, the time seemed to get away from me after an adventure to Brooklyn to satisfy a Gumbo and Po'Boy craving.
A 45 minute subway ride gave us a beef and shrimp po-boy and a nice and spicy gumbo. We ended the day with some delicious ice cream. I'd say it was worth the trek.
While weekend are the time to have foods that are a little bit more decadent, I try to keep it pretty clean during the week. As much as I love my morning smoothie, my office is so cold that I need something a little bit more warm to eat. Enter in protein pancakes.
They are the perfect breakfast to have after a tough work-out, can be made ahead of time, and freeze well. These are now in my meal prep rotation. I heat them up and add a dollop of almond butter and some freshly cut fruit- it's a great way to start off a long work day.
Enjoy these delicious and healthy pancakes! Feel free to mix it up- I did a variation with chocolate chips and even the cookie monster gobbled them down.
Servings: 12 pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups liquid egg whites
- 4 scoops of protein powder (I used Vega Vanilla)
- 1/3 cup skyr- I used 2% plain Siggi's
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of blueberries
- Mix together all of the ingredients. If too thick, use almond milk to thin out.
- Heat a skillet with coconut out spray.
- Ladle out around 1/2 cup of batter. Allow the pancake to cook until one side is all bubbly. This can take 3-5 minutes.
- Flip and let the other side cook.
- Repeat with remaining batter.