Kinda nutty crunchy, a little bit of sweet, and some healthy twist. Describing my biscotti or some of the individuals you meet in New York City? I definitely think it’s a bit of both. You never know what you are going to see or whom you will meet when you leave the apartment every morning. From the screaming man in the middle of the street about to be hit by a bus to the pants-less woman in the subway station yelling her political thoughts, it’s always a bit entertaining. Last week I went to have dinner at Kin Shop- a restaurant created by a Top Chef winner. (I know, I am such a fan girl…) After my dinner high from eating goat curry stew (literally mouth orgasm) the cookie monster and I decided to take the bus home. The stop before our apartment is nearby a hospital, and before we got off a homeless man who was recently released sat down next to me. As we were getting off at our stop, I stood up and said “my butt feels a bit wet….OMG I think the homeless man peed on me!!” Yes, I cried, bolted into my apartment, and immediately scrubbed down. But at least I got this great story from that horrible encounter. Either way moral of the story, it always be skeptical on public transportation- but at least make the trip worth it, such as for eating goat stew. But as my crazy times and stories continue, I hope these biscotti give you a nice week treat!
Slightly adapted from Cook's Illustrated
ALMOND CHIA CHOCOLATE CHIP BISCOTTI
1 hour 40 mins
22 biscotti cookies
- 1 cup of toasted unsalted almonds chopped
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg white
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a food processor, bring together the 2 eggs until the quantity has doubled. Then slowly add in the melted butter, sugar, vanilla bean paste, and almond extract to the eggs mixing in the food processor.
- In batches, add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix together until all are incorporated.
- Next stir in the chia seeds, almonds, and chocolate chips. Flour your hands and transfer the dough to the lined baking sheet. Form two logs about 8 by 3 inches each. Top each loaf with the egg white wash. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the two loaves cool for 30 minutes. Then slice them about ½ inch thick to create the biscotti cookie. Place them side down bake on the baking sheet. Bake for another 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- Once golden brown, remove them from the oven and allow to cool completely before eating.