The tease of the nice weather has had me itching for barbecue…but too bad the grill was just sold (but hey, an apartment in NYC seems like a fair trade off!). In light of my warm weather yearnings, I decided to whip up a favorite meal of mine I made all of last summer. Barbecue chickpea salad- it is a hardy vegetarian bowl that hits the spot for those warm summer nights… even though spring has only brought rain and more cold. But even if it’s a cloudy day, enjoy this salad to bring some warmth to your tummy! (While I enjoy some Floridian sun for the weekend.)
BARBECUE CHICKPEA SALAD
2 main entrees or 4 side servings
- ½ cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 can of rinsed and drained chickpeas
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 1 summer squash diced
- 1/3 cup of diced red onion
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. On a greased baking sheet, place the diced squash and sweet potato. Drizzle a touch of olive oil or use cooking spray on top of the veggies followed by a sprinkle of salt. Roast for about 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the corn, tomatoes, and chickpeas. When the squash and sweet potato are cooked and tender, add them to the bowl. Toss the salad with barbecue sauce. Add in salt, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin to taste.