As the weather becomes warmer and the sun shines brighter, my want to sit on the beach all day rather than at a computer screen significantly increases. Being a jersey girl, the jersey shore is an easy option, but with that comes embracing the typical "meat-heads," girls with big hair and poofs (not that I don't have big curly and frizzy hair as well), and pre-tanned orange people spread out amongst their towels soaking up the sun and blasting the radio's top hits. But, some of the most stunning beaches I have been to were on my family vacations to the various islands of Hawaii. Sitting on the beach in Waikiki, the clear blue water seems to go on forever, a quiet stillness engulfs you, and the hot sand and sun warm your body to the perfect temperature. In my attempt to pretend I am back on the island, I concocted a cookie that captures some of Hawaii's signature island flavors- macadamia nuts and coconut.
Island Inspired Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks of softened butter
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3 cups of oats (quick or old fashioned)
- 1 bag of sweetened coconut flakes (toasted)
- 1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the oven or toaster oven, place the coconut on a baking sheet and place in the oven at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes until the coconut flakes become lightly browned.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugars and butter together. Then add the eggs and vanilla in.
- In a smaller bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt . Then slowly add the dry ingredients in batches to the mixer.
- Then add in the oats and mix well. Lastly, add in the macadamia nuts, toasted coconut flakes, and chocolate chips.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, add a heaping sized amount of cookie dough smoothed out by rolling into a ball.
- Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Allow them to cool, and then transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- Embrace the island flavors!