Well I've hit a crowd pleaser, and by crowd I mean my mom. She tends to be super picky with whatever I cook so when she actually likes something it is a great relief and nice to hear.This dish was inspired by my personal southern roots and the use of okra in southern cooking as well as that time when I couldn't stop watching Ramsay's Best Restaurant and an Indian place was featured in the competition. This is a nice filling vegetarian dish that packs a small amount of heat which is ever so in-sync with the upcoming heat wave. Stay spicy and stay cool!
Okra and Lentil Curry
- 4 Cups of Okra
- 1 Cup of Yellow Lentils or Yellow Split Peas
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce or Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoonChili powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rise and dry the okra and then chop it into bite-sized pieces. Place the okra on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil (or use cooking spray) and toss the okra with curry, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the okra for 30 minutes. Then use the broil setting and continue cooking the okra for 5-8 minutes until golden brown and lightly crisp.
- In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. To that add one tablespoon of cumin seeds and cook until they become fragrant. Then add the chopped onion and once it cooks down a bit add the 2 minced garlic cloves.
- Once the garlic and shallot are cooked down add 1 cup of yellow lentils, 1 cup of tomato sauce, and 2 cups of water. Allow the mixture to simmer and then turn down the heat and allow the lentils to cook for about 30 minutes until they are softened.
- Once the lentils are done and the okra is cooked, chopped the okra and add them to the lentil mix.
- Then flavor with cumin powder, curry, chili powder, as well as salt and pepper to taste.