Every Sunday my mother tends to find a plethora of garage sales to attend and buy random items. Mind you we recently finished cleaning out our house which was once inhabited by my post-war hoarding Grandmother (who I never met) that also had the all the walls coated in a vomit green color. Recently, my mom brought home a apple peeler and corer and I thought, hey why not make zucchini noodles with it! Well, lets say it was a semi-epic fail since I could not figure out how to set up the contraption. Instead lazy and frustrated girl kicked in and hand-cut some zucchini "noodles." Either way, with fun kitchen gadgets or being kitchen crafty, enjoy this delicious and veggie filling dish!
Zucchini Noodles with Lentil "Meat" Sauce
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 large celery stalk diced
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Fresh basil (for garnish)
- In a large pot, either using olive oil or cooking spray, begin to cook down the onion and garlic. Once translucent, add in the celery and carrots.
- Once all the vegetables are softened add in the grape tomatoes, tomato sauce, lentils, chopped parsley and water. Coved the sauce and allow it to simmer for about 30 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Using a sprializer, juliener, or crafty knife skills (like me!) thinly slice your zucchinis and create noodles. Then steam them (whether with bamboo steamer or a strainer placed over a boling pot of water) for about ten minutes, until tender.
- Once the sauce has finished cooking, season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if heat desired) to taste. Ladle the sauce of the steamed zucchini noodles and garnish with fresh basil.