I'm finally joining the matcha boat and creating some baked goodies with lovely matcha. I've recently been on a matcha kick and enjoying some for an afternoon pick-me-up when a little caffeine is needed to keep my eyes open at my desk.
I recently went to Chelsea Market and enjoyed some halva from seed + mill. It was there I tried goat milk ice cream and was instantly inspired to make a tahini infused recipe. I thought how perfect it would be to combine the nutty tahini with the bold flavor of matcha. And thus, these cupcakes were born.
A perfect little sweet bite, these are great to enjoy with coffee, more matcha, or after dinner.
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons culinary grade matcha
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the sugar and coconut oil.
- Next mix in the matcha, vanilla, and eggs.
- Then add in the flour and baking powder.
- Lastly, mix in the greek yogurt.
- Fill a lined muffin pan 3/4 of the way with batter. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cupcakes bake, make the frosting.
- In a mixer, combine the powdered sugar, tahini, and cream cheese.
- Add in a tablespoon of milk at a time until a thin (but not runny) consistency is achieved.
- Once the cupcakes are baked and fully cooled, frost them.