Well, that is certainly a mouthful- but one full of flavor and deliciousness!
I'm back from vacation from New Orleans, or more properly Naw'leans, and am full with food and recipe inspiration. Expect some Cajun and Creole inspired recipes that will make your say "BAM." (Yes, a total reference to Emeril, who is a huge influence in NOLA).
In between the gumbo, beignets, boozy brunches, fried alligator, and sazeracs, I of course needed my coffee fix. We stumbled into a coffee shop one morning to grab some espresso before we began a food tour followed by a swamp tour (more on that in future posts!). While ordering our coffees, we noticed the array of beautiful pastries including some goat cheese, strawberry, and honey muffins. Of course we ordered one, because why not- it was vacation!
After tasting this delicious combination, I knew I had to recreate my own version. Light, fluffy, not too sweet, and refined sugar free- these muffins are perfect to enjoy with a cup of coffee or some herbal tea.
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, or white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the coconut oil and coconut sugar. Then mix in the olive oil, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in the honey.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Add this in batches to the wet ingredients.
- Add the almond milk to the mixture.
- Fold in the strawberries and goat cheese.
- Line or spray a muffin tin, and fill each about 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Sprinkle coconut sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to fully cool in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack.