Hello from Idaho!
From rolling hills, clear skies, and all the green you can see.
As a last minute rush, Cookie Monster and I ventured out to the middle of nowhere West to visit my grandparents and family.
When we arrived I soon found out my brother and aunt have an abundance of rhubarb, so it only feels fitting to post these muffins today. Perfect for a snack or breakfast, these muffins have just the right amount of sweet and homey-ness.
Being mindful of family time, I'll keep this short and let this recipe speak for itself.
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1/2 raw local honey, if available
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (not warm)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking power
- 1 1/2 cups corn meal
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons gluten free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 2/3 cup strawberry rhubarb chia jam
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup diced rhubarb
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chia seeds
For the Jam (this can be made ahead of time and will make more than you need for the muffins)
- Combine the sliced rhubarb, strawberries, lemon, and maple syrup in a sauce pan.
- Cook down until the berries and rhubarb break down- about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the chia seed. Let the mix sit and cool and jam up.
For the Muffins:
- Combine the honey, coconut oil, and eggs together.
- Then mix in the vanilla and almond milk.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, and gluten free flour.
- Then fold in the cornmeal.
- Add in the coconut yogurt.
- Then carefully, stir in the jam and strawberries to give a swirled effect.
- Pour batter into a greased muffins tin. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick comes out clean.