Sometimes being a Psychology major is really interesting, and by interesting I mean entertaining. The other night in one of my lectures a comical situation arose- at least the class thought so. We were watching clips in class and attempting to diagnose the possible disorder displayed. One of the choices was Trichotillomania, or hair pulling disorder. A brave soul raised her hand and asked the TA if feeling gratification from pulling another's hair was also a disorder. She then went on to explain that she loves pulling other people's hair, especially her brother's leg hair. The entire class burst into laughter and disbelief that someone would say this aloud. It was an unexpected conversation for all. Although sometimes unexpected things, like combinations, can be for the better rather than the uncomfortable. You might not expect wheat germ in your muffins, but they are a great way to start the day that can be full of unexpected surprises and laughter.
Servings: 3 large muffins
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of wheat germ
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries+ extra for topping
- Juice and zest of one orange
- Turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together the egg and milk. Then add in the wheat germ and allow it to sit to soak up the moisture. Then add in the flour, baking soda, sugar, and oil.
- Next mix in the orange zest, orange juice, and dried cranberries. (If your cranberries are super dried, let them soak in hot water for about 5 minutes.)
- In a greased jumbo muffin tin, fill each cup about 3/4 of the way full.
- Sprinkle some dried cranberries on top along with some turbinado sugar.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Once a toothpick comes out clean, allow the muffins to cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
*Note: this recipe only makes a small batch of large muffins. If using a regular sized muffin pan, the recipe will yield about 10 muffins and have a shorter baking time.