Confession- I am a total coffee addict. While currently trying to limit my daily caffeine intake to one cup, I would happily drink three cups of coffee. My recent kitchen addition of a coffee grinder only heightened my morning cup o’joe. I mean who doesn’t love watching milk (in my case almond milk) create those beautiful coffee swirls, especially in freshly ground and brewed coffee? But then there’s also iced coffee, with coffee ice cubes, sweet milk, and maybe a homemade flavored simple syrup.
I love coffee and just can’t get enough.
Which brings me to these cupcakes. Coffee, chocolate, and alcohol- what could be bad? Beside my love of coffee and of course baking, these little babies were baked up for an ever so special occasion; my roommate’s birthday. I wanted to bake something special for the girl who makes me laugh so hard, entertains me with her yelling at video games, and is all around a great friend. But enough mush- you must make these cupcakes. They’ve got chocolate, great coffee, and booze. Be a little naughty and make them your breakfast, because hey- they’ve got coffee in them for a morning buzz!
KAHLUA FROSTED MOCHA CUPCAKES
1 hour 20 mins
- Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans:
- ¼ cup whole beans
- ¼ chop semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Mocha Cupcakes:
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ stick of unsalted butter
- ½ cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Kahlua Frosting:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter or shortening at room temperature
- 3 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 3-4 tablespoons kahlua
- Chocolate covered coffee bean directions:
- In a dry pan, toast the coffee beans until they become fragrant. Watch the beans to make sure they do not burn.
- In increments of 20, melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave. Once the beans have cooled, place them into the melted chocolate.
- Use a fork to pick up the beans and shake off the excess chocolate. Place the chocolate covered beans on a sheet of wax paper.
- Once all the beans are covered, place the wax paper into the freezer to allow the chocolate to set.
- Directions for mocha cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate and butter together. Do this in about 20 second increments, and constantly stir. Make sure not to overheat and seize the chocolate.
- In a mixer, combine the sugar and melted chocolate. Add in the egg, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- In batches, add in the dry ingredient mixture.
- In a lined muffin tin, pour the batter into each section, about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool and then transfer to a wire rack to allow them to completely cool.
- Directions for Kahlua frosting:
- Using the paddle attachment on your mixer, cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar.
- Then add in the milk and Kahlua. Your frosting should be a smooth texture.
- When ready to serve the cupcakes, using a piping bag* (with either just a plain circular tip or a fun swirly one!) Once you have frosted all of the cupcakes, garnish each with some chocolate covered coffee beans.
- *Note: you can also find ways online to frost a cupcake using a Ziploc bag or simply use an offset spatula to spread on the frosting.